Mushrooms of the West Coast
with instructor Andy MacKinnon
October 5 - 7, 2018 / Thanksgiving Weekend
This three-day field-course (Friday evening until Sunday noon), will introduce participants to the wonderful world of West Coast Mushrooms. Topics to be covered include:
• Introduction to fungi - what are they, and what is their role in our forests?
• Essentials of collecting and identifying fungi in the field
• Edible, medicinal and poisonous fungi
• Cooking with wild mushrooms
• Introductory presentation for mushroom course participants - overview of wild mushrooms, different fungus groups, role of fungi in ecosystems & mushroom identification.
Saturday (8am - 9pm, with breaks)
• Field collection of wild mushrooms at field site.
• Sorting of mushroom collections, spore prints, microscope ID session. Cooking wild mushrooms with Chef Ian Riddick, Executive Chef at the Great Room at Long Beach Lodge Resort.
• That Mushroom looks delicious! Will it kill me?
Sunday (8am - 1pm)
• Field collection and identification of wild mushrooms at field site. Group lunch and course wrap-up.
About the instructor:
Andy MacKinnon is a forest ecologist who lives in Metchosin BC. His fields of study include BC's native plants, fungi and lichens. Andy is co-author of six field guides to plants of western North America, an Adjunct Professor in the School of Resource and Environmental Management at Simon Fraser University, and Vice President of the South Vancouver Island Mycological Soceity.
Course Registration is $240 per person, and includes lunch on Saturday and Sunday.
Here are some photos from past sessions: