Category – choose either “Local Flora & Fauna” or “West Coast Lifestyle”
Light up the Night!
Welcome to Raincoast’s first ever lantern making contest! We are beyond excited to see what our creative community creates.
Lanterns must be submitted into 1 of 2 categories (Local Flora & Fauna OR West Coast Lifestyle) and each category winner takes home a $500 GIFT CERTIFICATE* to a local surf shop!
Please follow the contest guidelines, examples, and tips below to ensure your lantern will be a top pick!
All submissions must be in before August 9th @ 5:00 pm. Every lantern created will be displayed and winners will be announced at this year’s Tofino Lantern Festival on August 11th.
Tips and Tricks
- Bamboo blinds available from Goats on the Roof – best bamboo to use is flat and flexible
- Any white glue works best, however construction grade white glue is top notch i.e. Weldbond.
- You want glue to be the consistency of squash soup not ketchup. Approx. 1/3 water to 2/3 glue.
- Wire – available at most hardware stores – looking for twist tie type wire not a thick gage.
- You’ll need chicken wire to create a candle cage
- Tissue paper – available at any dollar store
- Paint brush – no larger than 1”
Steps for lantern making:
- Build Frame
- Wire in candle cages and hanging system
- Cover with tissue, glue, dry, repeat x 2-3 times
- Make sure you leave ample space to allow heat to escape above your candle
Tips and Tricks:
- If you make a hole, don’t fiddle with it – let it dry and trim that section out to repair.
- To reinforce joints: It’s recommended that you first connect joints using hot glue and then reinforce with wire for a sturdy joint.
- For a smooth, translucent finish make sure all tissue is covered with a coat of glue. Usually 2-3 layers of tissue creates a sturdy surface. The lighter the tissue the more light it will let through.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have questions about the contest guidelines!