We’re hiring a Tofino Field School Coordinator.
Tofino Field School Coordinator (download pdf)
The RES is seeking a passionate, adaptable individual who enjoys professional flexibility and working with children to run our Tofino Field School. This role combines education and a keen understanding of the natural world and seeks someone who is enthusiastic about both.
Raincoast Field School is an outdoor education program designed to supplement BC curricular outcomes while providing hands-on learning opportunities for students in our local elementary schools. It is a collaborative program developed by the RES and the teachers at the local schools.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), year-round position based in Ucluelet, B.C. This is a salaried position, with a range of $39,000 – $42,000 per year depending on experience. The start date for this position will be July 31st, 2023. The candidate will be responsible for securing housing and ensuring a reliable means of transportation.
Primary roles and responsibilities will include:
• Developing and delivering outdoor educational and experiential programs about the natural environment and the cultural history of the region for each class at the Tofino Elementary School, with lessons tailored to each age group (K-7).
• Collaborating with teachers to develop programs that are connected to in-class learning.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post-secondary degree in biological sciences and/or
- Previous teaching or interpretation experience.
- Experience developing educational programs.
- Knowledge of west coast ecosystems, local history, and local culture.
- Experience working with and collaborating with First Nation communities.
- Experience working outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Experience in risk management and implementing safety protocols.
- Confident working independently, who can manage their time effectively, and collaborate with the rest of team.
- Standard first aid certification
- Wilderness First Aid/ Remote First Aid certification, or willingness to obtain certification.
- Class 4 Driver’s License, or willingness to obtain Class 4 license.
- Guiding certificates (such as kayaking or life-saving skills) are an asset.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, and references in one file to Mark Maftei, Executive Director at email@example.com with “FIELD SCHOOL: your full name” in the subject heading.
– Applicants with different backgrounds will be considered
– The RES is proud to be a 2SLGBTQ+ safe environment
“The Raincoast Education Society (RES) is a non-profit organization operating out of Ucluelet, B.C. that offers a broad range of high-quality educational and research programs focused on the natural environment, cultures, and communities of the region.”