We are seeking a Field Assistant for Marine Debris Surveys
The RES is looking for a part-time field assistant to help with marine debris surveys in Barkley and Clayoquot Sound.
- Are you looking to make a positive contribution and develop some field research skills?
- Are you considering or studying for a career in science or environmental monitoring?
Schedule: Paid position, apx. 25 hours per month on a somewhat flexible schedule. Funding is secured for at least 12 months with potential for an extension.
Wage: $18/hr, commensurate with experience
Application deadline: Applications will be considered as they are received.
The Raincoast Education Society is a non-profit organization based in Tofino, B.C. with a mandate to shape an environmentally sustainable future for the Clayoquot and Barkley Sound region through education and community stewardship. We seek to accomplish our mission through a broad range of high-quality educational and research programs focused on the natural environment, cultures, and communities of the region.
- conducting and assisting with standardized debris surveys along beaches and shorelines throughout Barkley and Clayoquot Sound, as well as some data entry
- after training and familiarization, approximately half of the work will be self-directed at your ownpace, on your own schedule
- remainder will consist of boat-based surveys working with a team leader
An ideal candidate will have:
- general background in science (this is an asset but not a requirement)
- familiarity with our area of operations in Barkley and Clayoquot Sound
- familiarity working in small boats on the water (an asset, not a requirement)
- attention to detail and a willingness to work in inclement weather( a must!)
- *due to the nature and schedule of the work, priority will be given to applicants who reside in the region
- any level of first aid an asset
- valid drivers license and/or reliable transportation is required
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Yourname_Field Assistant’ in the subject line.
Important: The successful candidates will be responsible for securing housing and ensuring a reliable means of transportation to/from programs in Tofino and Ucluelet, B.C.
Download pdf here.